Thursday, January 04, 2007

Her Short-Term Memory Reverie

My wife is forgetful. Yes, I have my own faults but this is my blog.

Yesterday she called me from home and asked if somehow I had taken her car keys. I checked...nope. We hadn't had time to get a spare key made for her newish car (a life saver in past situations such as these) so I had to leave work to bring her my key. Earlier in the morning she had taken Harry to school so the keys existed then. (?!)

When I got home I took about five minutes to look in the usual places: purse, clothes pockets, bathroom counters, all horizontal surfaces, dog bowls, laundry basket, teacups. Nothing.

The boys got home from school and started a search party. They looked in the semi-unusual places: the vehicle itself, trash, dog food bag, guinea pig cage, refrigerator. Nothing.

I was determined to find those keys last night: searched in the bed covers, under the car seats (amazing amount of electronics under today's butts), all vertical surfaces, the washer/dryer, unused Kroger bags, wrapped Christmas presents, plants, birds, rocks, things. Nothing.

Because I watch too much television, I was then convinced that an organized crime ring had been casing our house and had taken the keys with the intent to return later and steal both our cars and loot our house. Never mind they could have stolen the car when they first took the keys, but these are smart criminals. You never know what they're up to. One step ahead of us.

I battened down the hatches, turned on every conceivable alarm and light fixture, Harry placed a Gilligan-esque bucket trap over the door, we went to bed, and I woke up about every hour to check on our cars.

This morning I went to the garage fridge to fetch some milk for my coffee. Marci's car keys were nicely chilled in the fridge door where you usually put your beer. Seems when she was ready to leave the house yesterday, she stopped by the garage fridge to grab a water and by the time she reached the car three seconds later, had misplaced her keys.

Have any good stories of misplaced items?

2 comments:

chez bez said...

Actually, mine is quite similar. My dad misplaced the dog leash one morning and we spent the better part of an hour looking all about the house for it.

Our story ends as yours did. He had put some groceries from one hand on top of the fridge and the leash from the other hand was placed quite neatly inside the freezer.

The freezer has now become the established first place to look for lost items now.

Anonymous said...

Freezer here, too. Amy's keys were lost for WEEKS. We knew the last place she had them was in the car coming home from running errands, including a grocery trip (from now on, a key fact).

We searched many times over the next few days, to no avail. With a (at that time) 13-month-old toddling around and a golden retriever, well, 'retrieving' everything, we figured they were underneath some piece of furniture or buried somewhere in the back yard.

You will be shocked by this, but we, too, have multiple backups for just about all our keys, so Amy took those and we moved on (admittedly a little mystified).

A solid month later, I was digging deep in the freezer and found them.

Your Little Brother.